Saturday, April 20, 2013

How I spent my Saturday...

I didn't sleep all that well last night. I ended up having to move to another campsite when another couple of people showed up and starting getting hammered and being loud. Besides being noisy, they are an attention magnet. After I woke up, I went to McDonalds to get some coffee and check my e-mail/Reddit. I was accosted by this guy saying he needed a couple of bucks for gas. It was maybe 55f outside and this guy in a t-shirt, sweating profusely and shaking. I made sure and locked up the van afterwards. The town I live in has a pretty low crime level, so long as you avoid certain neighborhoods. I'm considering moving my campsites to the next town over (which happens to be a small, quaint college town populated by hippies of all ages).

After leaving Mcd's I cleaned out the van and simplified my wardrobe, so that I have more room to move around. This is the drawback to sleeping in a mini-van, especially when you're 6"3. So, with space getting to be limited, I'm trying a few things to make the most use of it. So: 1. I'm building a bed that fits over my storage bins 2. Only having the bare minimum of clothing (the rest is kept for me in the trunk of my mom's car). 3. Get an aluminum surplus army mess kit (no more paper plates and plastic forks).


The Burger King closest to me has a HD flatscreen that was tuned to the LA Angels game, so I sat there and watched it. It was nice and cool inside, as opposed to the 87f it was outside. I went to my campsite early today, as it is 4/20 and I wanted to partake in the festivites and I refuse to drive while stoned. I have my Rx and can partake legally, but living on a budget while trying to get a job, means I don't smoke very often anymore. Likewise, I've stopped drinking as well. I had a pretty tough time with booze the past few years, but that's a tale for another day. I spent the remainder of the day hanging out near Starbucks reading comic books on my laptop (Joker: The Killing Joke & Batman: Year One for the curious) and talking to a few of the regulars/employees that I'm friendly with.


All in all it was a nice day. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this Vandwelling-thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment